Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Outlining Ideas

so, after many days of research, I am finally ready to let my creativity run wild. Reading various articles and watching many films and YouTube videos really inspired me and allowed me to visualize exactly what I want. 


This video is a scene from Frida (2002) where the main character is sloppily cutting her hair. This serves as inspiration for my own idea. This scene has a more dramatic feel to it, with the slow music and the melancholy flashbacks. In order to incorporate the same concept within the context of a thriller, I plan on using more close ups and quick cuts to add suspense and mystery.




The film opening is going to be set in a bathroom. 
The main character is going to be standing facing the mirror wearing an emotionless expression, looking at her reflection attentively, as if she was looking into her own soul. There will be scissors on the counter, which she will then grab to begin snipping at her hair violently. This action will then be juxtaposed with images/actions providing insight to her thoughts as she is shredding her hair. She is in the middle of a psychotic episode, her mind has been overrun with echoing voices and images of demons threatening to overtake her body and create havoc in the human world. The act of cutting her hair serves as a way to try and release the frustration and depression that consumes her during the psychotic break. The incorporation of mirrors and scissors are staple conventions in a thriller because they evoke a sense of mystery, suspense and violence. 



Going more in depth with the story in order to establish plot, I want to make it known to the audience that the main character has gone off her psychotic medication, which I learned in the video in my previous post that the medication helps the patient differentiate from whats real and not real. By breaking this medical wall, the hallucinations and voices are able to become more vivid, clouding judgement, making the character vulnerable to her own thoughts. 



This is the gist of what I want to portray. I am now in the process of creating my storyboard to map out the different scenes, compositions and editing techniques, as I had previously seen in this SlideShare, I should use in order to give the film opening an authentic feel while following thriller conventions. 



Sources:
"Frida (8/12) Movie CLIP - Frida Cuts Her Hair (2002) HD." YouTube. Movieclips, 01 Oct. 2011. Web. 14 Mar. 2017. <https://youtu.be/HadRbtEI7KU>. 

JasonsA2Media Follow. "Codes and Conventions of the Thriller Genre." LinkedIn SlideShare. N.p., 10  Sept. 2013. Web. 17 Mar. 2017. <https://www.slideshare.net/JasonsA2Media/codes-and-conventions-of-the-thriller-genre>.




No comments:

Post a Comment