Thursday, March 16, 2017

Characterization

Introducing...... Pandora!

After a lot of research, I finally found a name that I liked AND fit the plot. At first, I was debating on naming her Arabella, like the Arctic Monkeys song that inspired this entire project. However, I decided to visit Behind the Name, a website with over 20,000 names from all cultures and time periods. After scrolling through what seemed an endless list of names, I stumbled upon the name Pandora. It stood out to me as much as Arabella had. I read the description, and suddenly it all clicked. The name Pandora is of Greek origin meaning "all gifts". It is part of mythical story,  where Pandora was deemed the first mortal woman. "Zeus had given her a jar containing all of the troubles and ills that mankind now knows, and told her not to open it. Unfortunately her curiosity got the best of her and she opened it, unleashing the evil spirits into the world," the page states. You can read more about Pandora's box here.


And thats where it clicked.

Pandora (character) will embody Pandora, the mortal in the myth. However, the concept of the box will be altered; instead of there being a physical box of mystery, the "box" will be her mind; the reasoning for her schizophrenia. The act opening the box, emphasized in the myth, will be mirrored by the character purposely stopping her antipsychotic medication, leading to the eventual release of the "demons" in her mind. 

The fact I was able to find a story to allude to my idea makes me feel happy and accomplished. Before I found this, I feel like my idea lacked foundation. These findings provide structure and further interest to the overall plot of the film opening.



Sources: 
Campbell, Mike. "Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Pandora." Behind the Name. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2017. <https://www.behindthename.com/name/pandora>.

Campbell, Mike. "Name of the Day." Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2017. <https://www.behindthename.com/>.


"The Myth of Pandora’s Box." Greek Myths Greek Mythology. N.p., n.d. Web. 16  Mar. 2017. <http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/pandoras-box-myth/>.







No comments:

Post a Comment