Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Editing

The deadline is inching closer and I'm getting anxious!


The first step I took before tackling editing was which software I was going to use to make my film come alive. My dad, being a technology fiend, advised me to use AfterEffects as it is a powerful editing tool and could make my film look really professional. I spent hours on end watching tutorials on YouTube on how to work the basics of AfterEffects but I eventually gave up. The software allows to manipulate content in many different ways, and with the deadline being so close, I had virtually no time to learn how use it; much less create a "good" video with it. 

With much disappointment, I resorted to iMovie. Much more simple, much more limited, but I somehow made it work. I downloaded all my clips and pieced them together referencing my storyboard and changing a couple of things here and there as I went through the process. 


The first thing I did was color correct the clips to give them that mysterious and eerie feel. I did thing by lowering the brightness, contrast and saturation of each clip. I also added a vignette to add focus to the different scenes. 

Then I worked on the transitions. The most common used transitions in thrillers are quick cuts, fades, and the occasional cross dissolve. You can already have an idea as to which transitions I chose. I left the fades for the beginning and end of the film, as to isolate the story more from the juxtaposition of the production company credits and the director credit at the end. The quick cuts were the most used, as it provided fragmented transitions from one frame to the next. I decided to also include various cut on action cuts and graphic matches to add a sense a continuity within the fragmented frames and just bring interest and uncertainty to what might happen next regarding the sequence of events. 

Putting the film opening together and seeing my hard work come alive is truly amazing. I had never before done a project like this, and I really liked how this blog made the entire thinking and creative process easy and efficient. 

The film opening is coming soon to a blog post near you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment