Thursday, April 6, 2017

Creating Sound

Since the auditory hallucinations is what comprises the majority of my audio for this film opening, I decided to do more research on it and how I can emulate voices for my project. I found this interesting video on YouTube and it is basically an examination of different voices that a schizophrenic patient can hear. The voices are deep, emit echo, and vary on tonal range. In other to achieve this, I need to gather a whole lot of friends with varying octaves. 

What in the world will I have the voices say during the two minutes? 
In this previous post, I mentioned how auditory hallucinations are usually angry voices that scream and laugh, often bullying the host and go as far as provoking murder or suicide. 


I then took my creativity to GarageBand. This app allowed me to record myself and various others emulating the "voices". What really intrigued me is that GarageBand comes with vocal modifiers, and I was able to select a couple of effects to layer with the voice recordings to achieve that scary and echo-y effect. Another technique I used in order to create depth and perspective of the different voices, was to layer different vocals so they overlap, making it seem like they are talking over each other. 
After I laid out all the vocals for the film, I felt like something was missing. All I had for sound was of course the voices, and a couple of action sounds like the scissor cutting, toilet flushing and pills rummaging. I was missing that eerie, suspenseful music that gives thrillers life. 
I went back to the drawing board and began playing with different sounds, adding different effects in order to achieve a sound I liked. Somehow, someway I began snapping my fingers at timed intervals with the "Delay Vocal" effect and achieved an ambiguous, echo-y sound that I thought gave the film more structure and mystery. 


Besides making my own sounds, I took advantage of the royalty-free sound effects provided on iMovie. I incorporated "Ambient Effect 2" for the "Arabella Productions" opening credit and "Mystery Accents 02" for the establishing shots. 

Sound was probably the most important element in my film opening, as it sets the mood of the entire video. I'm pretty satisfied with how I was able to manipulate different resources to come up with authentic sound effects to liven up the footage!

Sources:
"Auditory Hallucinations - An Audio Representation." YouTube. N.p., 13 June 2011. Web. 06 Apr. 2017. <https://youtu.be/0vvU-Ajwbok>


No comments:

Post a Comment